Saturday, June 28, 2014

Good Advice to Slow Down a Little

Two weeks ago I woke up I couldn’t feel my feet. As I have gone and seen doctors they have figured out I have some disc problems and mild arthritis in my back. Because of this I move as slow as a snail. Not even an exaggeration. I walk S L O W!

At first I was frustrated, as you can probably imagine. It was hard to do much on my own. Getting ready or doing any regular task would take twenty times longer.

However, the other day as I was walking out to my car, slowly walking, I noticed the beautiful sunset. Instead of just noticing it and hurry along (walking faster like usual) I got to watch it for a good ten minutes as I slowly shuffled along to my car. It was stunning. I was able to feel the spirit and realize how close God was and what a beautiful world we live in. All by walking slow, slowing down. 

My eyes were open as I have realized how much I have never noticed the beauty of my own backyard, the beautiful trees I walk by going into work five days a week, the beauty of interacting with others face to face etc., etc.

Elder Uchtdorf recently said in conference:
“What do you suppose pilots do when they encounter turbulence? A student pilot may think that increasing speed is a good strategy because it will get them through the turbulence faster. But that may be the wrong thing to do. Professional pilots understand that there is an optimum turbulence penetration speed that will minimize the negative effects of turbulence. And most of the time that would mean to reduce your speed. The same principle applies also to speed bumps on a road.
Therefore, it is good advice to slow down a little, steady the course, and focus on the essentials when experiencing adverse conditions.” (“Of Things That Matter Most”, Conf. Oct. 2010)

So how can we all slow our life down, without being forced to by an injury (like I was)?

1.Take time to enjoy the little things
Wherever you are right now, stop reading for at least a minute and enjoy your surroundings. Enjoy the house you live in (whether clean or dirty!). Enjoy your children, your spouse, or even the stranger that is walking by. Set an alarm on your phone for a random time in the day, when it goes off simply enjoy life and what you have for JUST a minute. Gandhi stated,” There is more to life than increasing speed.” By slowing down you can focus and appreciate things to the fullest. 
2. Minimize your to do list
But Rachel, I cannot slow down. I have this and this and this and this...etc, etc. I know each of us have hundreds of things we could put on our to do list every day, don’t! Elder Uchtdorf stated:
“Let’s be honest; it’s rather easy to be busy. We all can think up a list of task tat will overwhelm our schedules. Some might even think their self-worth depends on their to-do list. They flood the open spaces in their time with list of meeting and minutia- even during times of stress and fatigue! Because they unnecessarily complicate their lives, they often feel increased frustration, diminished joy and too little sense of meaning in their lives.” 
(“Of Things That Matter Most”, Conf. Oct. 2010)
3. Stop wearing a badge of busyness like it is an honor
Being busy is not an accomplishment, never has been and never will be. This is one of my favorite quotes ever: 
“I have tried to imagine Him {Christ} bustling between meetings or multitasking to get a list of urgent things accomplished. I can’t see it. Instead I see the compassionate and caring Son of God purposefully living each day. When He interacted with those around Him, they felt important and loved. He knew the infinite value of the people He met. He blessed them, ministered to them. He lifted them up, healed them. He gave them the precious gift of His time.” –Elder Uchtdorf
4. Be comfortable with yourself
“It may seem odd to think of having a relationship with ourselves, but we do. Some people can’t get along with themselves. They criticize and belittle themselves all day long until they begin to hate themselves. May I suggest that you reduce the rush and take a little extra time to get to know yourself better… Learn to see yourself as Heavenly Father sees you—as His precious daughter or son with divine potential.”- Elder Uchtdorf (“Of Things That Matter Most”, Conf. Oct. 2010)
I am so grateful for this talk given by Elder Uchtdorf. I hope that we can all slow down, simplify our lives even just a little. 
I am grateful for this injury. It has MADE me slow down. I hope that I can always remember to slow down. I pray that we all can make necessary changes to enjoy the loved ones in our lives, the beautiful nature we are surrounded by, and especially to notice God’s hand and spirit in our live's more.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen
Much love,

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment