Saturday, June 7, 2014

Addiction is Something I See Beautifully Now

I had an interview a few weeks ago. It was at an Drug Rehab Center. Something I thought I would be interested in. As the interview began I actually shared some of my story! 

As I told them how passionate I was about addiction. One of the interviewers looked shocked and asked me, “Rachel, Do you know that addiction is not a wonderful thing. That each week we have patients come in who do not want to be here, ones that fail, ones that give up. He paused and then went on and say I don’t think you really know what addiction is (or something along those lines).

In that moment I realized where I had come from, again. How my “soul was wracked” as Alma had said. I felt shame. I felt angry, oh so angry with the Lord. I hated what had happen to me, I felt like it was so unfair. I felt shame and guilt, so much bitterness. So lost.

But today, how different it is, today I am so incredibly thankful. I am so blessed because change is possible through the Lord. Addiction is something I see beautifully now.

As I sat there in the interview I preached (just a little bit). I told them that I know what it is like to be an addict and now as a facilitator I get to watch others give up, relapse and stay in their addiction, but I have also seen the miracle of the atonement. And those are the memories that are imprinted in my brain forever!

 I have seen miracle after miracle occur. I have seen people who have been re-born. People who have given their all and fallen many times, but have still gotten back up. That is what I know about recovery.

I promise that if you or a loved one are feeling the horrible effects of addiction, it is real. It is hard. God loves us enough to give us many resources. One of which is the LDS Addiction Recovery Program.

I am making addiction sound beautiful, but what is beautiful is the Atonement! Whoever you are you can change. The Lord can redeem you, and wants to so badly. He doesn't expect you to be perfect and you don't have to be. Go to Him how are you today! He accepts all!

I know my reading my blog, especially this entry you may think that I haven’t been as low, or as deep as you are. Maybe true, but the biggest truth is that He lives. Jesus died for you. You can apply that Atonement in this moment, here and now. Please know that you are not alone. That recovery is possible and that being in God’s rest is so beautiful. So exquisite, tears are seriously flowing down my face. I wish I had words to express His love. I wish I could jump out of this screen and tell you face to face. 

I love him so much. I am so grateful for his help every moment, with every negative feeling, happy moment and in between. I testify of that. I am so grateful for his peace! He is there, he is real!

In the name of Jesus Christ, My Rescuer, Amen

Much love,


Rachel

Wanted to share this amazing song with you. 
"Untiled Hymn" By Chis Rice. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing :) It's so true. While this addiction is a horrifying mess, it has been the catalyst that has helped me to use the Atonement in ways I never would be able to without it. I know that I knew about this before I came into this life, and the only reason I didn't stay up there to avoid it is because I knew I had a Savior, and the miracle of forgiveness and healing is available to everyone, even someone like me--ESPECIALLY to someone like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so hopeful! You are giving out hope with this, Rachel. Proof that even with the rough times and the hard times, that recovery is possible. That happiness is possible. You are proof that the Lord does HEAL us. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete