Thursday, January 9, 2014

Patterns of Emotion: Physiology

On my last post I talked about Tony Robbins, a life coach. He talked about "Triad: the three patterns that create emotion." Last post I focused on Language, now Physiology, so what your body does. 

Tony Robbins uses an example. He says something along the lines of: If behind curtain number one there is someone who is depressed. What is their body doing? How would you know they are depressed? Of course we can all answer that. They would be slumped over, shallow breathing, to themselves, etc etc. 

He then explains a study in which the patients with clinical depression smiled at themselves in a mirror 20 minutes a day. After 4 weeks every one of the participants were not clinically depressed anymore. I don’t remember if he stated the university that did the study and I have been unable to find it. Sorry! But even though I haven’t found it I know it would work and have read many amazing studies and insights about the power of smiling. 

This Ted talk explains a lot of amazing studies:

Ron Gutman: Hidden Power Smiling

I know it may all seem hooky, but what would it hurt. :D 









“I never will understand all the good that a simple smile can accomplish.” - Mother Teresa 




Much love! 
Rachel 




2 comments:

  1. Hope you don't mind a random post. I like to do that every now and then. I like that smiling study. I also really liked your post "Is he your best friend?" those are some killer affirmations. I'm starting to incorporate those more and more into my thinking which really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warrior, Of course I don't mind a random post. Thank you so much for your comment! :D

    ReplyDelete