Thursday, January 2, 2014

Is He Your Best Friend?


Happy New Year!

So with the New Year here it is a tradition to make New Years goals. However, this year I was able to recognize something. I set myself up to fail; I think we all do it sometimes.

I realized this while reading Jon Acuff’s book Start. He describes the reason we all have a hard time setting and keeping goals.  He explains our mindset when we have something that we want to accomplish.  We either think, “I need to do it perfectly.” or “I can’t do it at all.”  For some reason we tend to go to either of these two extremes when we want to set a goal or do something new.  He explains how there really does need to be a middle ground.  Honestly we can’t ever expect ourselves to do anything perfectly but for some reason when we set goals and can’t accomplish them perfectly 100% of the time we get discouraged and give up.  While on the other hand we can also be afraid of failing and convince ourselves that we are better off not trying at all.

On k-love (a Christian radio station) one of the host talked about the stress of New Years goals. She went on to suggest instead of picking so many goals that we rather pick a theme for the whole year. She picked happiness.

I loved her idea. At first I wanted to pick happiness too, we all could use more of it! Then I felt the spirit prompt me. I had these words come to mind “Choose the Savior as your theme”. As I thought about it I decided a theme for year could be:

“Coming To Understand That
Christ Is My Best Friend”


I hope that we can all remember the Savior in our life and His importance. He is our best friend and I am so excited to get to know Him even more this year.




Much love,

Rachel 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea! I might use it too. Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete