Saturday, October 5, 2013

Broken Vessel (Conference Saturday Session)

I hope that everyone was able to watch conference.

It was perfect. It is certainly something that I look forward to every April and October.

Prior to conference I always write down questions that I feel I need answered.

One question I had was:

What can I do about my emotional and physical health problems? 
How can I trust in the Lord more to know that I will be okay?

Elder Holland's talk was more beautiful and perfect than I could have ever asked for.

photo credit to mudpreacher.org

I struggle with depression and anxiety, and have since my teen years. I have been having multiple health issues, which definitely have added anxiety and made me feel emotional overwhelmed. 

I feel like everyday I am so drained, so completely exhausted. Burnt out is an understatement. 

I have received many priesthood blessing and had many tender mercies along the way, which I thank the Lord for.

Elder Holland spoke of Depression being a real illness. He asked a question, 

"How do we respond to these feelings of depression and emotional stress?"

He answered with a bunch of things, I will paraphrase the ones that stood out to me.

1.  Remember that God loves you. His love never changes. It is their whether or not we feel we  deserve it. 

2. Seek counsel of those who have keys (Priesthood blessings)

3. Take the sacrament every week. Remember the atonement of Jesus Christ. Hold fast to the perfecting promises of it. 

4. Believe in miracles.

5. Remember that hope is never ever lost. 

6. "If the bitter cup doesn't pass, drink it" know that God is with you.

7. Be alert for things that will cause more stress. 

8. Fatigue is an enemy. Get rest. 

9. See a therapist, if needed. Be honest with them. Prayerfully follow there advice. 

10. Be patient. Be still. Stand still. 

11. Cherish the small victories, the small moments, even if they don't last long. 

12. Hold fast to faith and the love of Christ.

He stated that those of us with emotional disorders may feel like we are broken vessels, but to remember that these vessels are in the hands of the divine potter. To know that one day the dawn will break brightly and all shadows of mortality will flee. 

My heart is overwhelmed with love for my Savior who cared enough about me to answer my question in this talk (as well as many others). I am so grateful that He can carry me through this. I am so blessed to have an outline to follow that can help me through my emotional/mental and physical problems. For the Lord has promised me that He will go before my face and be on my right hand and on my left, and His spirit will bear me up.  I know without a doubt that He will. I am grateful for the strength he can continue provide for me. 

It is my prayer that we can all look to Christ and trust in Him. That we can all know that He is aware of us. He knows us. He is mindful of our struggles. 

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Much Love,

Rachel 

2 comments:

  1. I loved his talk! I loved so many talks this conference!
    And I am totally stealing your second question for myself for tomorrow's sessions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous talk!! You can always rely on Elder Holland !!! :)

    ReplyDelete