Monday, November 26, 2012

Committed to Jesus Christ

On Sunday my husband and I spoke in sacrament meeting.  I always get way nervous to speak, but I do love to prepare talks!! It helps me learn a lot about a specific topic. 

Today we talked about “being committed to the gospel”. I know that the Lord knew I needed to study this topic. It was amazing for me to be ponder about how I am committed to the Gospel and what I need to do better. Overall it was incredible to see how my addiction has made me committed to the Lord. 

I wanted to share my talk with you today:

Today I have been asked to speak on ‘being committed to the gospel’. What does commitment mean to you? 
President Utchdorf in the 2011 ensign told a story  of two young brothers he said,”(They) stood atop a small cliff that overlooked the pristine waters of a blue lake. This was a popular diving spot, and the brothers had often talked about making the jump—something they had seen others do.
Although they both wanted to make the jump, neither one wanted to be first. The height of the cliff wasn’t that great, but to the two young boys, it seemed the distance increased whenever they started to lean forward—and their courage was fading fast.
Finally, one brother put one foot at the edge of the cliff and moved decisively forward. At that moment his brother whispered, “Maybe we should wait until next summer.”
The first brother’s momentum, however, was already pulling him forward. “Brother,” he responded, “I’m committed!”
He splashed into the water and surfaced quickly with a victorious shout. The second brother followed instantly. Afterward, they both laughed about the first boy’s final words before plunging into the water: “Brother, I’m committed.”
Commitment is a little like diving into the water. Either you are committed or you are not. Either you are moving forward or you are standing still. There’s no halfway.” Or as Dale Carnegie once said, “If you are not in the process of becoming the person you want to be, you are automatically engaged in becoming the person you don’t want to be.” 
Commitment as a word cannot stand alone. We must always ask, “Committed to what?” In psalms 37:5 aCommit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.  
Randall J Brown asks”Perhaps there are some of us here today who profess that they are committed to Jesus Christ as the son of God, or perhaps some of us may not have yet witnessed His power. Perhaps some have not yet personally experienced the surety of His promises. Maybe some of us have not yet experienced an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ, to be our personal Savior. Perhaps some here today posses a significant knowledge of the scriptures, but have not experienced life in Christ. Maybe we have not experienced the process of being “reborn in him” (or taking the Lord’s name upon us.) Perhaps some of us can say that we know OF christ, while we cannot actually say we know him.“
So brothers and sisters, were you in that list? Is there something stopping you from committing yourself to the Lord?
I know that 3 years ago I could not have said that I was committed to this gospel, actually I didn’t want much to do with it. I was angry with the Lord. I was frustrated. I felt that I had been given way to many trials that I could not handle.  The scripture found in 1 Corinthians 10:13 which says,” There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.” Whenever I heard that scripture or heard people discuss it I was filled with rage. I felt mocked by the words. I knew that God had given me trials that I couldn’t handle. I had tried to pray for help, and had not received my “deliverance”. I don’t remember when it exactly happen but I had hit my rock bottom. I remember crying and begging to the Lord to make it all stop. To delivery me. to help me. I felt completely forsaken. 
My trials had made me completely desperate for the need of the savior. I had come to realize my nothingness. It was not my time but his time. In the book “Experiencing Christ” by Randal J. Brown he explains his experience,”The Savior was taking me to a deeper knowledge of Him made possible only through the purging and refining process. Until I experienced such fiery trials, I had not experienced a mighty change of heart. My heart...contained weeds at its deepest levels, places that only Christ could reach. I was full of fear, guilt and resentment that served as barriers to faith hope and charity and that kept me from fully (committing myself to the) Savior”.  End quote.
I once heard a talk in sacrament meeting for a girl who had been addicted to smoking. She told us of the reality of an addiction and how it prevented her from being committed to the Savior. She then said that to get over her addiction to cigarettes she would have to plead moment by moment for relief. For the first month or so free of cigarettes she would plea with the Lord to help her for just 10 seconds and some days for every ten second she would have a silent pray in her heart pleading,”Lord give me 10 seconds”. 
I know that most of us may not have an addiction to cigarettes, However we need the Lord in every second of every day. We have to recommit to the Lord daily. Elder Maxwell puts it this way,” (We need to) rededicate ourselves to His will at the start of each day and sometimes every hour or even from moment to moment.” End quote. 
"Faithful members of the Church should be like oak trees and should extend deep roots into the fertile soil of the fundamental principles of the gospel,..." said Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin of the Quorum of the Twelve in the October 1994 general conference. "Our foundations should be solid and deep-rooted so we can withstand the winds of temptation, false doctrine, adversity, and the onslaught of the adversary without being swayed or uprooted. Members whose roots are only at the surface of the gospel need to sink them deeper until they reach the bedrock below the soft topsoil."
To be something, we must be committed. God is our Father. Jesus is our Savior, and this is His Church. We need commit ourselves to living Christlike lives regardless of the environment or opposition.
We will all face moments of trials, heartache, sadness and big decision that change the rest of our lives, as members of the Church, we must ask ourselves, “Will I dive in or just stand at the edge? Will I step forward or merely test the temperature of the water with my toes?”
I am so grateful for my trials. That they showed me my own nothingness. That they gave me a humble heart. That I am able to have a  more personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I am grateful that I have Christ, that I have His gospel. Without Him I would be nothing and no where. 
I am so thankful for all the covenants I have been able to make. I am thankful that I can take upon the name of Christ. That every sunday I get to evaluate my life and recommit to the Lord by renewing my covenants. That I have the Lord with me every second of every day if I have His spirit. 
I am so grateful that the LDS twelve step program has helped me learn to recommit my will to the Lord. I have so much to be blessed for. The Lord has taught me so much. I am so excited to get to know my Maker more. To be more committed to Him; His will, His trials, and His timing.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome!! I love it so much:-) Great message, great quotes and such an awesome sweet testimony. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete