Monday, November 19, 2012

Blog Name

There Is No Other Way


Some of you may wonder why my blog is named “No other way” or some of you might not.....but it is something that I am going to share anyway because it means a lot to me. 

Well, I am not sure how many of you have read the book “Experiencing Christ” by Randall J. Brown. I HIGHLY recommended it (and I am even not a big reader).  Randall Brown is such an inspiring writer! This book is about his personal journal to the savior. It is beautiful to say the least. I have already read it three times, it only has 118 pages. The first time I couldn’t put the book down. Then I went back and re-read it and now I am highlighting, underling and making a mess of the book.
One day about 8 months ago I went into my bishops office with an aching heart. I had almost let my addict brain take over. I wanted to go further with my boyfriend. Fortunately, my boyfriend knew better and stopped me. At first I was angry. That was quickly replaced with shame and humiliation. I didn’t understand by brain, the cravings it had. I was upset! I felt like I had worked so hard to turn to the Lord and my brain had an on and off switch that was out of my control. It made me feel hopeless and completely trapped.  I felt like had satan was controlling me. I felt controlled by my addict.
My bishop explained to me that I had put myself into a situation where I would be tempted. (DUH!) I had done things that I knew were triggers for me personally. So, of course my addict came out. That certainly did not mean I had no control; It meant I needed to take control when I could. No justification. No getting to the edge. I needed to tell myself No. I needed to stop the “auto path” of my brain.  So difficult to do (especially if you are trying to do it on your own). And when I did feel tempted whether I gave in or not, I could certainly not let satan bring me down more. (He has a lot of lies, more to come one that).
Our talk was really good. To be honest I don’t remember a lot that he said. But I do remember he gave me the book "Experiencing Christ". I can really say this is a book that has changed me. It has helped me understand so many things. I can relate with the author in so many ways.
He is not an addict, at least not the hat talks about in this book. However, he is a man humble enough to share his story of battling depression and hardships. At the end of every chapter he ends with the sentence “There is no other way”. Meaning there is no other way then through Jesus Christ.
It sounds simple. The author just says things in the most clear, elegant way. I cannot explain it. His testimony is pouring through the pages of the book. He has helped me come to know Christ better. It is a definite MUST read, although by reading my blog you will be reading a lot that is in his book. Seriously, it could be in every post. YES! It is that good.
Hope you enjoy it!

P.s. Meet with your bishop if you can. There representing the Lord. They are angels. I promise! They are not there to judge you. (More to come about my experience with talking to my bishop(s) and all the fears that came with it.
Thanks for Reading!
- A recovering addict who is accepted by God, others and herself .

No comments:

Post a Comment