Saturday, August 9, 2014

Ultimate Formula for Happiness


Yesterday I was completely exhausted at the end of the day, which lead to a spiral of feeling very depressed.

I am lucky to have such an amazing husband to get me out of the house to, cheer me up and an amazing Lord who blessed me with His love and spirit. 

As I was reflecting on yesterday, I came up with a personal list on what I can do when I am having that "down day", depressed moment, or just feel like giving up completely. 

To the paralytic man lying helpless on a bed, Jesus proclaimed, “Be of good cheer” (Matthew 9:2). To the frightened Apostles battling the tempestuous sea, Jesus appeared on the water, declaring, “Be of good cheer” (Matthew 14:27). As Joseph Smith met with 10 elders about to be sent out on missions fraught with trouble and danger, the Lord announced, “Be of good cheer” (D&C 61:36). In each instance the people had every reason to be anxious, fearful, and hopeless, yet the Lord directed them toward a reason to rejoice. (Be of Good Cheer: Choosing Happiness, By Camille Fronk Olson)

1. Remember that it's normal. 

Remind yourself that life is not perfect. We are ALL going to have hard days, weeks, maybe even months or years. Trials will come, unfair things will happen to us. But know that you are not alone. That other people struggle and don't always have it "all together". That it is part of our earthy experience.

2. Stop looking for happiness.

Too often we expect happiness to come in the perfect moments in our lives. And when are lives are falling apart we may expect happiness to land in our lap, it does not work like that!

I love how Josefina Casas put it:

Happiness is a much longer, deeper journey, and its way more rewarding. Being happy is a daily decision, and just like any other habit, you’ve got to internalize it, which requires constant commitment. So be willing to change, to be happier today.

That is, stop looking for happiness and start living happiness.

A study by June Gruber (Yale psychologist), suggests that constantly seeking happiness can actually generate anxiety. This happens when those who seek it, assume that if they do everything that they’re “supposed to do” to be happy, they WILL automatically be happy. The problem is, they don’t know how to deal with frustration if the results don’t appear in a timely manner. So, the truth is: happiness isn’t the result of doing just one thing, but of a change of lifestyle, and we don’t always get it magically by snapping our fingers or with a twitch of the nose.

This happens when those who seek it, assume that if they do everything that they’re “supposed to do” to be happy, they WILL automatically be happy. The problem is, they don’t know how to deal with frustration if the results don’t appear in a timely manner. So, the truth is: happiness isn’t the result of doing just one thing, but of a change of lifestyle, and we don’t always get it magically by snapping our fingers or with a twitch of the nose.


3. Smile, especially when you don’t feel like it.

Smiling can make us feel better, but it’s more applicable when we back it up with positive thoughts, according to this study:
A new study led by a Michigan State University business scholar suggests customer-service workers who fake smile throughout the day worsen their mood and withdraw from work, affecting productivity. But workers who smile as a result of cultivating positive thoughts – such as a tropical vacation or a child’s recital – improve their mood and withdraw less.
So you need to practice “Real smiles”.
The differences is in the eyes, 
notice the picture below.

It’s very easy to spot the difference.
Don’t forget to smile with your eyes. Practice in front of the mirror. Don’t worry that first time I tried this tears were pouring down my face, it made it very interesting…but I did end up laughing because of how ridiculous I looked.


5. Focus on today.

One day at a time!! My motto literally is, 
One day at a time, with God!

Science Mag did a study that people spend 47 % of their time digressing. Meaning: our thoughts are constantly wandering (about past or future); we are totally out of reality, out of here and now, today, not in the moment.

What precious time and energy is wasted!!!

Matthew 6:34 says, “Take therefor no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.”


6. Go outside

Yesterday I felt bloated, had a stomachache and was completely exhausted. The last thing I wanted to do was go outside, but as I did it helped me.

Why? Well my personal belief is that it helped in multiple ways:

-   You are able to focus on others, rather than sit in your self-pity. It’s distracting.
-   Sun or fresh air is freeing. Gives me an energy boost.
-   Helps me realize the little things, and as a result I become more grateful.

7. The Ultimate Formula for Happiness

Elder Uchtdorf said, “The gospel of Jesus Christ has the answers to all of our problems. The gospel is not a secret. It is not complicated or hidden. … It is not someone’s theory or proposition. It does not come from man at all. It springs from the pure and everlasting waters of the Creator of the universe, who knows truths we cannot even begin to comprehend. And with that knowledge, He has given us the gospel—a divine gift, the ultimate formula for happiness and success.”
Let God in, just a little bit. Trust Him more. Let Him help you. His arms are outstretched to you “all the day long” no matter where you are or what you have done.
Just pick one this week, I know it is easy to get overwhelmed. 
You deserve happiness!
Much love,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Every word is fantastic. I love how it said something about living happiness instead of searching for it. It's such an interesting concept. I don't know how many times when I've been depressed and crying that I've said aloud, "I just want to be happy!" I'm always searching for it. Often in the wrong place. Thanks for this one lady. I really need this right now.

    ReplyDelete