Saturday, May 24, 2014

Stop Comparing & Start Connecting

My life looks very different on my Instagram then it does in real life. Everyone’s life looks perfect on the Internet. The Internet is half the truth. We get to take tons of selfies and choose which one is the best. Prior to posting it we get to edit it, change all the different filters, and ta-dah! The new and improved you and me.

Some days I am so enriched, edify and uplifted by what I see on the Internet. Other days I find a fun recipe, a cute outfit or a funny joke. I love all of that. But I also fall unto the envy of the Internet. I feel captive by other people’s half-truths and filter photos. And their amazing lives make mine feel worthless.

So how can we avoid becoming victim to the envy and self-destruction of the Internet? 

1. Unfollow people you envy! Choose to follow people that inspire you and not people that create disappointment and guilt in yourself.

A recent CNN article explored how we are now exposed to more and more images of unattainable beauty, thanks to social networking: “Before social networks, we mostly had images of impossibly perfect celebrities. We would pass these images on billboards, watch them on TV, flip through them in magazines, but we weren't sitting around staring at them for hours every day.” 

We are not just exposed to them we interact with them for hours on end.

Go one to social media right now and unfriend, unfollow, “Un” whatever them so you do not have to have it in your life! RIGHT NOW!


2. Don’t compare your weakness to other strengths.

Real life happens when we enter actual homes with actual messes. When we see a cute child not really acting so cute. When we are able to tell a vulnerable story and be heard. When we have bad and good days. It is reality!

Remember the interior designer you follow is AN INTERIOR DESIGNER! That it is his or her talent, it is what he or she does. You have a different talent. Invest time in your talents, rather then wasting your time wishing you had what everyone else has.
3. No social media when bored!

Seeing half-truth version of other peoples’ lives isn’t the only jeopardy of the Internet. We rarely check Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or what social media site when we’re having our own amazing adventures.

We check it when we’re bored and when we’re lonely, and it increases that boredom and loneliness.

Once again find your talents.
Set a timer or alarm so you aren’t one social media for hours!


4.    Remember the best is posted. Our life is a film not a snapshot.

Over 200 photos were taken by a professional photographer of me for they blog.I selected my favorites the best of the best for the home page, right? Of course! Plus a professional did my makeup prior to the photo shoot and I bought brand new clothes just for that occasion.

This is the picture you guys see on the home page:



This was also taken that same day:


Remember professional done, still edited. 100's of photo to look through before posting any! Everyone does that! We all post the best!

Let’s stop comparing. Let’s start connecting.

I am not saying walk away from the Internet. I use social media everyday for my blog. What I mean is surrounded yourself with a worthwhile social media.

So for the next month, from today until June 24th I will be posting unfiltered, no half truth, real me photos. 

Follow me at @happyisforme with the hashtags #realme #happyisforme. Join in with me! Show the real you, don't let fear stand in the way! Start connecting!

Much love,

Rachel M.  

1 comment:

  1. I love your pictures! It's so fun to see what people actually look like and match that up with what I read on their blog. Hi! :) You are so beautiful! Also, I totally loved this post and 100% agree with it. For me, I changed my whole motivation for social media. I only use it for support. I started to feel absolutely crazy and full of comparisons and envy last year. So, I deactivated my account for about a month. Then when I got back on, I deleted everyone except about 30 people. Now I have 50, but they are all people that I talk to on a very regular basis or recovery friends or people that I know support me 100%. I don't do negative on social media. I had to get rid of my instagram because the comparison monster was there too for me. But I think I have a pretty healthy balance now, although it's taken me a LONG time to get there. And I still fall into the trap. Also, when I am seeking connection, I will often go to facebook... and I never find it there. That's when I need to be seeking God's connection instead.

    ReplyDelete