Saturday, April 5, 2014

Prayer Keeps Men From Sin & Sin Keep Men From Prayer

I tend to have a million thoughts running through my mind, as we all most certainly do.
I have been trying to really focus on my prayers and really feel like God is there.
Too often I feel as if I am talking to myself.

The Lord told me to try a few different things. By doing these things I am now conversing with the Lord all through they day.

1. Praying Aloud

About a year or so into recovery I started saying prayers out loud now and again. It is something I have tried to get into more of a habit of. When I pray out loud it make me feel closer to God and becomes more a conversation. Of course God hears prayers that are send silently, but praying aloud has helped me feel focus and close to our dear God.

Also, those of you who are married. My husband and I try to pray aloud together. One of us will go first, we switch off. One prays aloud and then the next goes. It has been a beautiful blessing in our marriage. It also helps us be more vulnerable with each other, and of course allow us to become one with the Lord.

2. Prayer Journal

I started to write down my prayers every morning in my regular journal, basically writing letters to God. Too often I am falling asleep during a prayer, thinking about something else or distracted in someway. As I started this journal I noticed that I was paying attention! It was beautiful. But something even more spectacular has happen. I now can see a conversation between me and God. He is answering my letters, all of them. I get see to everything written down that He prompts me. I realized I had missed so much before. Writing is such an important tool. Such a treasure.

3.  Praying in your Heart Continually

In the 12 Step LDS Addiction Recovery Guide it talks about taking a thought that you read in our scriptures and meditation on it throughout the day (Step 11, Action Steps). I have also taken a quote, a conference talk, a question I have personally or a pray for someone else in need to meditate on throughout the day. Everyday is different, but everyday I am filled with the spirit.

If you are practicing your addiction, have slipped, or feel unworthy of God's love in any way. I can testify that the Lord is not just there for you, He is reaching for you. He needs you. His arms are so peaceful. Even if you are mad at Him, talk to him. Yell at him if you have too, cry if the words don't come. He wants to hear from you no matter how it comes.



I am so grateful for prayer. It brought me out of my addiction and not only keeps me out, but bring me the greatest happiness and peace.

Much much love,

Rachel










1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I need to work on praying aloud more.

    ReplyDelete