Saturday, December 22, 2012

Soul-deep Healing is Possible


In the book “Experiencing Christ” the author references an analogy from Rick Warren book “The Purpose Driven Life”. It goes as such:

“Imagine riding in a speedboat on a lake with an automatic pilot set to go east. If you decide to reverse and head west, you have two possible ways to change the boat’s direction. One way is to grab the steering wheel and physically force it to head in the opposite direction from where the autopilot is programmed to go. By sheer willpower you could overcome the autopilot, but you would feel consistent resistance. Your arms eventually tire of the stress, you’d let go of the steering wheel, and the boat would instantly head back east, the way it is internally programmed.”

The author of "Experiencing Christ” goes on to say:

“This is what happens when we try to change our lives through, will-power, self-discipline, or self-sufficiency. We may, through our own efforts, try to stop ourselves from...our addiction.  Our willpower may produce short-term results, but we will begin to feel tremendous inner stress because we have not dealt with the issue in our heart. If our faith is in ourselves, we will eventually relapse and return to...our addiction. This occurs because of reliance in our own insufficient strength.

There is only one way to change our internal auto pilot: to let the power of the Savior’s grace go to work in our souls and make us ‘new creatures in Christ.’ Only His infinite grace is sufficient to produce soul-deep healing.”

I am so thankful for the Lord and that He has and is directing my life. I am no longer exhausted, overwhelmed, frustrated at my own efforts. For all things are possible for the Lord. I am so blessed to be reminded of this everyday. I love the Lord and through Him not only has my life been changed, I have been changed. I testify that He can and will change you. 

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

- A recovering addict who is accepted by God, others and herself.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. I love this. It's been on my mind a lot lately too, and I love the "new creatures in Christ" doctrine. I've seen it work. Now, I'm just trying to believe this all counts for ME too, not just other people.

    ReplyDelete